Acces nonvoyant, recommandé pour les personnes utilisant une synthèse vocale
Accueil

Accueil > VISITE DU PALAIS > Visite guidée > Outsides Views

11 juin 2008

Outsides Views

 

cour-du-mai

Te May Courtyard

Each year, to celebrate the first of May, a young oak tree was uprooted from the forest at Vincennes and brought in a procession by the palace staff to be planted in the May Courtyard.
The oak symbolizes the union of heaven and earth, God's justice and the justice of men, and therefore royal sovereign justice. Parliamentary decrees were proclaimed and carried out in this courtyard.
The current façade was built under Louis XVI by the architect Demaison (1777-1780).

 

entrée-du-palais

Entrance to the Palace

The front gate of the palace is the work of the master locksmith Bigonnet in 1776. It was renovated in 1872, and restored in 1878 and 1967, and has kept the emblems of royalty.

 

quai des orfevres tour quai des orfevres

Quai des Orfèvres

View of the building at number 36 Quai des Orfèvres, built after the fire of 1871 (the architects were Gilbert and Diet) where the head magistrate's residence used to be. It is assigned to the district attorney and judicial police departments.

 

quai-horloge

The Quai de l'Horloge

Façade of the palace on the Quai de l'Horloge between the Clock Tower and the Caesar Tower. The gate gives onto the old Kitchens courtyard (the "Saint-Louis" kitchens) and the Conciergerie. This façade was renovated by the architects Duc and Dommey in 1852.

tour-bonbec

The Bonbec Tower

The Bonbec Tower, built by Saint Louis, is adjacent to the Supreme Court of Appeal building. It was begun in 1855 by the architects Duc and Dommey who were replaced by Coquart and Blondel after the 1871 fire. The building was finished in 1892.

 

rue-de-harlay

The Rue de Harley

Façade of the palace giving onto the Rue de Harlay and the place Dauphine. It is the work of the architect Duc, and opens onto a vestibule that leads to the Assize Court.

 

plaque quai des orfevres

The Quai des Orfèvres

The Quai des Orfèvres, built on the site of the Jew's island, joined to the île de la Cité. It evokes, as does the Pont au Change, the presence of goldsmiths who plied their trade on the island.

 

quai-des-orfevres

The Quai des Orfèvres

View of the building at number 36 Quai des Orfèvres and the gate of number 34 which leads to the premises of the Paris Court of Appeal.

bas_de_page

pied de page